Wednesday 11 May 2011

Six Things - Paul Burrell

Paul Burrell’s love of writing music began by bashing out ideas on a rusty old piano to his grandmother. Songwriting became his favoured means of expression in his teens and, to this day, is still his main focus. He has won the ‘Opportunity Knocks’ North West of England Final and the BBC ‘That’s Life’ Royal Wedding Song Competition.

His current post as Assistant Headteacher and Director of Music at Presdales School allows him a day per week to write music for the pupils there and for the wider community. In January 2009 he wrote the Hip Hop single ‘Back with You’ which was released by Presdales featuring the rapper ‘Tukka’ in aid of the Charity ‘Street Child Africa’. In 2010 he composed ‘The Winner’s Dream’ sung by 3000 Hertfordshire school children at The Royal Albert Hall to celebrate London 2012.

One thing that's always worth getting out of bed for
A full English (or Irish!) breakfast. Seriously - to be able to read a chapter from the Bible in the morning is the thing that fires my life. It encourages me or challenges me. When I am genuinely open to what God is saying, I know I am on the right lines.

One thing about myself that often obstructs me
When I know what is the right thing to do but my temperament and pride get the better of me and I choose the wrong option.

One thing I've learned the hard way
That it is sometimes better to wait and think than to rush in and do the wrong thing.

One thing that gets under my skin
People who say they will do something and decide at the last minute they will not do it. Also, Arsene Wenger and Alex Ferguson complaining at almost everybody and everything when they lose.

One thing I'd love to change
That people become as honest with their faults as they are with their apparent spirituality. This would help us all to go forward in humility, grace and truth.

One thing I hope for
To be able to use the gifts God has given me in a way which honours Him and in genuine partnership with Him.

Six Things is a series of micro-interviews with interesting and creative people,
in which they’re asked to respond to a standard set of six prompts.

No comments:

Post a Comment