Tuesday 12 April 2011

Book Reading Update

At the start of the year I listed the 19 books I wanted to read. I thought I would post an update, give you some thoughts and most importantly I would love get some your comments on these books if you have read them or let me know what you are reading.

So far this year I have read:

Teams of Rivals - the story of Abraham Licoln's remarkable life and presidency. I reviewed this book back on Feb 12th mine and Abe's birthday!

The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell - This is a fascinating book which looks at why and how some fashions, messages, education, adverts, methods of working, even crime waves and crime fighting can be stunningly successful almost overnight. How they go from ordinary to tipping into epidemics.

Frank Skinner by Frank Skinner - a refreshingly honest and entertaining autobiography

Gridlock by Ben Elton - I normally like Ben Elton books but  I didn't enjoy this one.  The first half of the book was both turgid & hyperactive in it's changes of subject. The last quarter of the book suddenly became full of life and then it was suddenly finished. Not his best.

The Shack by William P. Young - A worldwide bestseller that has been criticised by several well know Christian leaders notably Mark Driscoll*. I found this work of FICTION to be moving and challenging and made me want to open my eyes to see more of God and His work in my life. A beautiful story.

And currently I am reading The World Needs More Elders by PJ Smyth which is a booklet on the role, character and key areas of development of Christian leaders and specifically church leaders (elders). It is excellent material that is really refreshing and challenging so far.

So do you have any comments on any of these books? What are you reading?

* just for the record I think Mark Driscoll is a great bible teacher and has built a great church I just don't agree with him on all issues and certainly I think he has gone way over the top on The Shack, he is just a little too black and white on certain things for me. But I must say he has got a great tag line on his Twitter feed "A nobody trying to tell everybody about Somebody"

No comments:

Post a Comment