Sunday 16 January 2011

Be Holy – Be British

“Be holy because I am holy” Lev. 11:44,45; 19:2 & 1 Peter 1:16

I have often wondered to myself when reading or hearing this verse in scripture – so exactly how do I do that – be holy?

I wonder this because I know “being” holy isn’t about just a list of things to do or don’t do – although this can help (sometimes!). No my problem is I have come at this from the wrong angle. I saw this as purely an instruction rather than a “wake up” call.

If it was written “be British” then I would say, "yes I am"!

It is not so much an instruction as a description of our identity. You either are or are not British. When I was born I became British even though I didn’t choose to be, know or even do anything about it. Can I be more or indeed less British? I don’t think so.

It’s more about living as a person who is holy. As a Christian I have been born again, and when that happened I became holy.

I hope that for the rest of my life, I live more as a person who is holy than as one who tries to be holy.

No comments:

Post a Comment